Sunday, April 08, 2007




On Saturday I went up to Skagit County for the Annual Tulip Fest. Brian had to study so I he missed out on the country fun. It's about an hour north of Seattle along I-5. Skagit Valley a fertile valley with the Cascades to the east and the Puget Sound to the west. The Skagit river, one of the cleanest in the state, runs through the valley. I saw a bald eagle near the river while I was driving! There are fields and fields of flowers, not just tulips.

I drove around the countryside and stopped at one of the larger tulip farms. There are two main tulip farms and they're total tourist traps. But they have beautiful fields. And huge gift stores...

The local Kiwanis club does a salmon bake every day of the festival in a wooden lodge in the main city park. Awesome! Cannot recommend it enough. $11 for a huge piece of salmon, coleslaw, bread, potato, ice cream, lemonade, and coffee. All run by kind old men. They cook the salmon right outside the lodge on a grill with alderwood.

I stopped at a farm stand for veggies. I asked if they had eggs and the woman went back to the hen house to check. I got 7 still warm eggs. We had them for breakfast today and they were so orange and flavorful. Yummm.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Hi there,
I'm a fellow Washington, DC transplant, and remember coming across your blog when we were planning our trip across the country. Was just checking in, and was so excited to learn about the Tulip Festival. I know what I'm doing next weekend! :)