Tuesday, January 16, 2007


Mountain time! Brian's been gone all weekend so I headed up to one of the ski resorts on Monday to do some cross country skiing in non-wilderness. Didn't want to get stuck in an avalanche by myself.

I headed up to Snoqualmie Pass (only an hour away!). I rented skis, got a trail map, and took the lift up to the top. They have groomed trails on the ridge and I planned to do the beginner loop. I'm a beginning cross country skier. I can move forward, get a rhythm, go up little hills and stop if I need to (more or less).

My first challenge was to get off the lift with my poles, backpack, and XC skis. And not fall. Oops. Down I go.

Second challenge is to get to the beginner loop. It starts at the end of short, intermediate XC trail. Challenging for me, but I get down it.

The loop is beautiful. Almost empty, great warming hut, good views, quiet trees.

At the end of the afternoon, I decide to follow the beginner trail down the mountain instead of taking the lift back down. Starts off easy through the trees.

Then, all of a sudden, I'm on a downhill trail! With snowboarders! And skiers! I'm the only one not wearing a helmet and I'm the one who needs it. And the sign in front of me tells me that I am indeed on the correct XC trail. And it also tells me that this is a blue downhill trail. I am a beginner XC skier. Great.

This goes on for 100 yards and I quit. My butt and pride bruised, I take my skis off and decide to walk to the next easy part. It doesn't show until the very bottom. It was a nice mile-long walk down the slope. Great views and I didn't hurt myself trying to get down.

The lodge had the best hot chocolate though. Super sweet and not too hot.

I think I'll stick to snowshoes.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Alicia I have been hoping to do some winter sporting (snowboarding though) since getting to Cali but just haven't yet.

Kudos to you for striking out! It sounds like a great way to see the mountains.